Wednesday, June 30, 2010

6.30 - 2nd day in paradise

Walking to BIOS (Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences) this morning, it all of sudden came to me I should move here. I've been on the pursuit of happiness for so long, and I can finally stop looking. Taiwan and Bermuda. Those are part of my happiness plans.

We took a tour of BIOS. I had to skip out on a few things because I could not stop coughing. Poo. I'm in paradise with a cold :( The facility of BIOS is really nice. My brother is sooo lucky. We had lunch at BIOS, too. It was decent, though expensive [Jeffrey gets free food, but guests have to pay] at $17 per person. It's a buffet, but there isn't a large selection. Today was some kind of beef stew, sauteed veggies, steamed veggies, basmati rice, salad, potato soup, and fruits... and a beautiful view of a bay from the dining hall.

 Afterward, we came back to Aunt Nea's to rest. I passed out immediately. Around 4:45pm we went to the bus stop. People here truly are friendly. There was a man named Mr. James who talked to everyone. Although the island has a population of 67,000, it still feels like a small town where everyone knows each other. We went to BIOS again because I had promised Jeffrey that I'd run with him. And, even though I was still really sick, I did not regret it! We ran along the Railway Trail in St. George. The trail was absolutely heaven. Soooo gorgeous with the sun shining on the turquoise water, the cliffs, coral reefs, multi-million dollar houses, small rocks on the path... Ah, this is the life. 

 Bermuda has a pink theme going on. The buses are pink, the sand is pink, there are plenty of pink/coral houses....

We took the 7:45pm bus to head to Hamilton. Tonight's party is Harbour Nights. It is sooo crowded. There is a huge cruiseship parked at the dock. There are long lines at every food vendor, especially for shaved ice and jerk chicken. We spot a line for Jamaican food that isn't too long. I impulsely order the small meal that comes with rice, veggies, AND BBQ jerk pork. The pork looked oh-so-delicious and juicy. The server says "this is good, GOOD pork!" I trust his words. We find an empty space on a ledge to devour our Jamaican dinner. The rice, yum. Veggies, cooked to perfection. The jerk pork, soooooooo spicy!! It was one of the spiciest things I've ever eaten. It was juicy and all, but the ribs were too hot. I couldn't handle it and had to give the other 2 ribs to my parents to brave. Apparently, the jerk chicken was much spicier... well, good thing I don't eat chicken!

spiciest ribs everrr!

We walk down the street in search for dessert to change our palettes and sooth our burning mouths. Jeffrey mentions a donut stand "the best donuts ever." So, we wait patiently in the long line for 20 minutes. The donuts were mini-o's. Freshly hot, sugary, and delicious they were. Though, I didn't think they lived up to my brother's claim.

We head home about 10:45pm. The bus is really full. My brother pointed out the couple sitting in front of us. It seemed like they hated each other. The wife looks uptight and cold. The husband, relentless and tired of fighting. I bet they're in Bermuda to renew their marriage and work things out. Obviously, it wasn't working!
I still can't believe I'm here. I've never seen a more beautiful place. I lie in bed, reflecting on the past few days in Bermuda. I am so glad I came. I definitely would rather be here than Taiwan, even though my last night in Taipei I told people that I'd rather stay than go to Bermuda :p

this is what a typical bus station looks like in Bermuda. It's either this old-looking shack or a pink or blue pole. And, since there are no sidewalks, sometimes you'd be waiting next to the blue pole, trying to stay as close to the wall as you can..

downtown Hamilton, Front St. ~ there are restaurants, bars, financial firms along this street

the mini donut

No comments:

Post a Comment