Tuesday, June 29, 2010

touch down in Bermuda ~ first day

After arriving, a small shuttle dropped us off at our hotel: Aunt (pronounced 'ont'] Nea's Inn. This inn is a cute, cozy place situated on a hill in St. George's. The housekeeper, Rachel, is so friendly. In fact, Bermuda's locals are very friendly people. They smile and greet us as we pass by. Jeffrey said sometimes they'll honk at you--which they mean 'hello' not 'hey you, get the eff out of my way!' Our room is quite homey. Pretty green silky curtains, two four-post canopy iron beds, wooden floor that creeks in certain places, an English-style desk... the only ugh think are ants in the bathroom. One thing you gotta know about Bermuda is that there are ants inevitably everywhere.

Aunt Nea's Inn


We chill in our room for a bit because it's too hot outside. The weather here is hot and humid, but certainly not as humid as Taiwan. The sun is pretty strong though. Our inn is a lane away from downtown St. George's. We take a short walk to downtown. Sidewalks are pretty much nonexistent here. They drive on the other side here, too. We check out a local supermarket. So expensive! One baked potato costs 59cents each! After buying my sick self a water bottle, we walk around the harbor and look at a few restaurants' menus. Dining out here is ridiculously expensive. At Whitehorse, a waterfront restaurant at the harbor, nothing is under $22! After the shock, we head back to our hotel and I pass out [still on another time zone].

A few hours later, my brother comes. It's my first time seeing him in, like, half a year. We all walk out to find a place to eat dinner. We end up eating at a place called Tavern by the Sea, which is a waterfront restaurant at the other side of the harbor. The prices aren't too bad compared to the other places. I'm so tempted to order a margarita, despite that I'm still coughing and my throat is sore. But then, of course, my mom frowns and exclaims "No! You're not 21!!" I assure her that the drinking age is 18 and that I'll be 21 in a couple months anyway.. I want to order the grilled wahoo because who comes to an island and not eat fish? However, it costs $29.50. So, I go with the seafood risotto which costs only a dollar less haha. It is pretty yummy, and the seafood is all very fresh. 


The pace of life is so slow here, and I love it. We asked the waitress to see the dessert menu. Another waiter comes by and gives us the check. Fifteen minutes later--Bermuda time, the waitress drops off the dessert menu. Jeffrey explains that people here are late most of the time. Cabs will sometimes arrive 40 minutes after the time you called for them to arrive. I don't really mind though. I like this slow pace of life...

Tuesdays are Market Nights in Bermuda. There is basically a night festival everyday of the week. Today there were Gombey dancers and a DJ + gombey band. Gombey dance is a traditional dance of Bermuda. It's all about the rhythm. 

Gombey dancers at King's Square

the musicians

I am absolutely in love with Bermuda. The culture, chill lifestyle, the clear turquoise water, friendliness of the locals, whistling of the tiny frogs, the colorful houses (saw a neon green house this morning!), the big fluffy clouds... EVERYTHING! I would totally move here if I could. What a happy, happy life!


1 comment:

  1. yum!! sounds like such a cool adventure.. though i don't know about cabs coming 45 minutes after you call.. that's a looong time. maybe if you are chilling on the beach, then it would be ok. lol

    ReplyDelete