Tuesday, June 29, 2010

i've discovered paradise.

I feel as though I've been living in a wonderful dream this whole time--first Taiwan, and now Bermuda... ahhh, life is beautiful.

Bermuda is absolutely stunning. As the plane was getting near the island, passing through the fluffy clouds, all of sudden everyone on the plane is gasping. From the airplane window, I could see the gorgeous turquoise water and the coral reefs. I was in absolute shock. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever imagined to go to such a beautiful place. Only too bad that I am sick with a nasty cold + phlegmy cough. Just my luck, huh? I suppose that's my punishment for partying too hard and extreme lack of sleep for my last 2 weeks in Taiwan.

Anyhow, here are some facts about Bermuda...
__Bermuda is not just one island. It is actually made up of 128 islands, and the bigger ones are connected.
__It is located 597 miles off of North Carolina's coast, not south of the Florida, not in the Caribbeans, like most people assume it is. I'll have to admit though, before boarding the plane, I thought it was south of Florida and considered as a tropical island. But in fact, it is in the mid-Atlantic waters and a semi-tropical island. Shows how much attention I paid in geography class way back in middle school!
__Bermuda is not an independent country. It belongs to England. Therefore, there are many British people living here--and they are considered as natives of Bermuda.
__English is the official language. Portuguese is also another spoken language here, but you won't hear it often.
__Tourism is not Bermuda's first source of economy. It is finance. Bermuda is a major center of finance, and if it were its own country, it would have the highest GDP per capita in the world.
__...and that is why Bermuda is one of the most expensive travel destinations. You would spend at least $25 per person to dine at a local restaurant. A plate of grilled wahoo + vegetables on the side costs $29.50.
__$1USD = $1BMD which makes it convenient for us because we don't necessarily need to convert our currency because the American dollar is accepted everywhere.
__Bermuda is divided into nine  parishes, with Hamilton being the capital and St. George (where we are staying) a town.
__To conserve wildlife, there is a limited number of fish that can be consumed. Thus, most of the seafood is imported from the States.
__The ethnic makeup of the island is approx. 55% black, 34% white, and 6% multi-racial. And, everyone is so beautiful!
__They drive on the other side of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment