Thursday, July 1, 2010

3rd day in paradise ~ snorkeling, squirrel fish, rum swizzles...

Dad wakes me up at 6:13am this morning to we can catch the 7am ferry to Royal Naval Dockyard. Though, I feel so sick and reluctant to get out of bed. Running yesterday did not help with my congestion at all. My throat hurts again, and my cough is all phlegmy and icky. But I still want to go snorkeling today...

So, here I am, sitting on my queen bed, listening to Bob Sinclair, reflecting on my last week in Taiwan, and wishing my infection would go away. Being sick while on vacation sucks. I'm sure I can find a 'magic medicine man' somewhere on this island...

In the later afternoon, we meet Jeffrey at his cottage, and then together we ride the bus to Tobacco Bay, which is essentially right behind our hotel, but a 20 minute walk...though, we didn't know that. It actually was one stop after the stop we get off to go to the inn. The bus driver kindly told us where to get off and how to walk there from the bus stop. Along the way is the Unfinished Church. Yes, that is the name of it. It looked beautiful against the blue sky backdrop...


in front of this beautiful bright turquoise-teal house was a row of sunflowers..

Today is an incredibly hot day... the sand was so hot that I had to run to get into the water from where we placed our belongings. The water at Tobacco Bay is pretty salty, but for some reason it is a good salty and actually tastes kinda good....and satisfied my thirst.. The water was a bit murky because of minerals and salt, but we still saw plenty of fish. The first fish we encountered were squirrel fish. They are white with big eyes, and there were schools of them. I snapped a bunch of pictures with my disposable waterproof camera (which I promise to get developed soon!). We swam close up to the cliffs to the right and saw crabs. Bored of the right side, we swam over to the left and saw other kinds of fish...green-striped fish (sergeant majors) and purple parrot fish. They are called parrot fish because they look like they have a beak!


After swimming/snorkeling for an hour or so we were all starving. Dad mentions a seafood restaurant our hotel manager told him about, but she didn't remember the exact name nor location. Go figure. So when we head back we all wander up and down downtown St. George's, looking for this seafood restaurant. Turns out it was not a seafood restaurant and only open for brunch.. So, disappointingly, we all return to our hotel to discuss what to eat for dinner. The day before my dad discovered a Chinese restaurant down the street, and he decides to go there to buy take-out for our dinner. Umm I did not come to Bermuda to eat Chinese food...! 

In the end, the Chinese food was quite good and authentic! The owner is a Cantonese New Yorker and immigrated to Bermuda 19 years ago. 

After dinner we just chilled in our room and watched TV. At around 7:30 we hopped on the bus to head to Swizzle Inn. It is Thursday, so it's Trivia Night. Jeffrey was there the week before and made a team with his fellow interns. This time my parents and I played in the game. My brother ordered pitcher of Rum Swizzle for us. It is Bermuda's national drink and is a concoction of black rum, pineapple juice, lime juice, and orange juice. It is delicious, though a bit strong. There are random trivia questions divided into different categories: science, general. etc. One had us trying to remember all the films Steven Spielberg had directed. Unfortunately we got sixth place in the end, but all came home happy (aka tipsy teehee).

there are writings and business cards all over the ceiling


No comments:

Post a Comment